Field Study - November 13

Field Notes 

Date & Time - November 13 @ 10:16 am

Climate conditions - snowy 

Temp - 33 °

Length of day - 9:44

Organisms heard & seen - I didn't hear or see many organisms. This is probably because the first snow has fallen, and therefore many of the living things have left this environment, or gone into a hibernation of sorts. But, this week I did see many turkeys. There is a family of turkeys that wander through our neighborhood around this time every year. They are still out and about, even after the snow!

Leaf Study 

Most of the leaves have fallen at this point. The first snow fell this week, and you can see that in these trees. Pretty much the only green recorded in my chart is from the evergreen trees in my yard. 

Here is my grid including my pictures of north, south, east and west, along with the grid I used to measure the percentage of green in them. 

As you can see, most of the green has left. Once the leaves changed color, my percentage of green dropped pretty drastically, and now it has dropped even more. There are 2 evergreen trees here, and those continue to stay green. There are a few plants here and there that are still alive and green (ish), but. not many. 

Here is my data table including the percentage of green in my photos:
Photo from the same place each time 
I have used my north facing photo for my leaf study as my same photo each time. The snow is on the ground, and in the trees now. There are no chipmunks or squirrels or birds to accompany me in this field study today. One reason I don't like winter is because it feels so dead. Yes, it is pretty, but so many of the living things that are here throughout the year have either died, or left. 

More Pictures!
Today I also decided to take some more pictures with my field study. 
This is a wide angle picture of my yard. You can see the snow on the deck, and in the grass. Without the leaves on the trees, you can see right through to the next neighborhood over. You can also see my dog, Willa, enjoying the snow! She doesn't actually like the snow, but she did accompany me on this field study today! 
I also took this picture from my upper deck, focused on the snow. This photo can show you how much snow has fallen just between yesterday and today. You can also see the bare trees in the background. 
This is a photo of one of the evergreens in my yard! It is beautiful, and still green! It adds a pop of color in our yard during this time of not much color this winter. 
Here is a picture of a still living plant that I spotted in the little woods. This plant still has yellow/green leaves on it, and it still alive! I assume it will probably fall, and die, soon due to the snow. 
I also took this picture of the ground that shows the contrast between how much snow, and how much grass there still is. Pretty soon, we won't be able to see the grass or leaves at all! 















Comments

  1. Love your pics. Love that your dog loved going with you. :) Did you notice any tracks in the snow?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Field Study - September 30

October 30 Field Study